Shawn Tobey, Civil Engineer and Family Man
- What drew you to Hoyle, Tanner?
It was a large firm with a lot of knowledgeable staff. I was drawn to working on unique and challenging projects
- What’s something invaluable you’ve learned here?
Strategies for working collaboratively and networking skills.
- What’s your favorite time of year to work at Hoyle, Tanner?
I like the summer time because most projects are in construction and there is opportunity to be out in the field.
- What’s the coolest thing you are working on?
I am currently working on a 25 acre mixed-use 303-unit residential development project.
- What’s the best thing that’s happened to you so far this week?
Playing soccer in the yard with my daughter, wife and dogs.
- How many different states have you lived in?
Two: Maine, NH
- If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life what would it be?
- What kind of pet do you have and how did you choose to name it?
We have two Boston Terrier/Pug mix dog’s named Jean-Luc and Margaux. My wife is a French teacher so it was only fitting that they had French names.
- What is a fun or interesting fact about your hometown?
My family settled in Eliot, Maine in the 1600s. They were boat builders. My father is a carpenter and boat builder today and still lives in the same town.
- What are three things still left on your bucket list.
I’d like to master plan and design a large scale urban development project, build a boat and someday I’d like to walk my daughter down the aisle.
- Name three items you’d take with you to a desert island
A fishing pole, a saw and a new pair of work boots.
- What characteristic do you admire most in others?
- How old is the oldest item in your closet?
A box of old newspaper articles from my basketball days.
- Words to live by? Favorite quote?
“If you are working on something that you really care about, you don’t have to be pushed. The vision pulls you.” – Steve Jobs
- What did you want to be when you were growing up?
- If you were to skydive from an airplane what would you think about on the way down?
I would scout areas to develop!
Jeff DeGraff, Bridge Engineer and Outdoor Enthusiast
- What has drawn you to and kept you at Hoyle, Tanner?
- There are few structural engineering jobs in Vermont. It’s also one of the better firms in Vermont, as well. What’s keeping me here is the ability to pursue water resource engineering, which is what my master’s degree is in. And I just love the Vermont office in general, it has a good atmosphere. I also have a great view. We’re on the fourth floor, so I can see Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks.
- What is something invaluable you’ve learned here?
- To never stop learning. That’s pretty much it.
- My favorite time of year to work at Hoyle, Tanner is _____ because…
- The summer time because you’re able to go outside more often to visit the sites. And Burlington is pretty awesome in the summer time.
- If you were a character in a book, tv show or movie, who would you be?
- Batman [laughs]. That’s not even a question. Definitely the movie one, the Christian Bale one.
- What’s one of your bucket list items before you die?
- Camp, fish, and hunt in Alaska. I would go in the summer time. That’s when you can go fly fishing and stuff. It’s just one of the last untouched landscapes in the United States for the most part.
- What is your favorite quote?
- “Live your life like you’re going to die tomorrow.” I don’t know who said it, but I heard it once and I just thought, wow that was really good.
- If people saw you from a distance, they might not suspect…
- That I’m actually an engineer. Uh cause I may be serious at work but I’m not serious outside of work. [Laughs]
- If you were to skydive from an airplane, what would you think about most on your way down?
- How fast am I falling right now? I’m not afraid of heights, but I just want to know how fast I’d be falling. That’s the engineering side of me.
- Favorite food?
- Italian food in general. I’m not sure I’m Italian.
- When you’re not working, what could people most likely find you doing?
- Yard work. [Laughs] It’s because it’s a necessity. Honestly, just being outdoors in general. Hiking, fishing, mostly those two things. Even in the winter, I go snowboarding. It doesn’t matter, just outdoor activities.
Kimberly Peace, Environmental Coordinator & Beach Enthusiast
- What drew you to Hoyle, Tanner originally?
- I was looking for a change and the opportunity to work in a different environment. I knew I wanted to work for a company that I could grow with.
- What do you like most about working at Hoyle, Tanner?
- It’s a great bunch of people! I really enjoy that my projects are all very different; it is challenging and I learn something every day from this job.
- Can you talk about a favorite memory here? Proudest moment?
- I recently received a compliment out in public from a staff member at NH Fish and Game about how all of our work (permits and permitting applications) are of such high quality. It really made me proud.
- What is your favorite pastimes outside the office?
- Playing with my kids and husband, hiking, reading and naps. Naps are essential at my house on Sunday afternoons [chuckles], they are like religion.
- If you were stuck on an island what three things would you bring?
- Sunblock especially, then a book and some water!
- People would be surprised if they knew?
- I worked for the Ripley Aquarium for 9 months and I was responsible for feeding the sharks. Through this experience I can now take sharks’ blood pressure. I also had the opportunity to go to the pier where a lot of people catch hammerhead sharks and collect them for the tanks at the aquarium.
- Do you have a motto or personal mantra?
- Does “stop that” count?! [laughs, then responds with] of the Golden Rule, “do unto others as you would have them do unto you”. Oh and if you are my children then it is “If you are going to act annoying don’t be surprised when people get annoyed!”
- What did you want to be growing up?
- A veterinarian, oh and a jockey but I quickly out grew that when I was like 10 and was ginormously tall!
- If given the chance, who would you like to be for a day?
- Princess Kate… I am fascinated by the travel, possibly the clothes, the beautiful places and everything she gets to experience.
- If you won the lottery today, what would be the first thing you would buy?
- A house on the beach. We have lived several places so we would need to have one in multiple places – the Maine, Florida and South Carolina coasts. That would be perfect to wake up and look out the window and see the ocean!