Featured Image: Wilton, NH Grand Opening in October 2021
The bridge team at Hoyle Tanner has been hard at work on finishing bridge projects this construction season! The following bridge construction projects were completed in fall 2021 in New Hampshire (with some minor details left for spring 2022), and we couldn’t be prouder of our bridge team and their commitment to excellence:
- Rindge, NH – Wellington Road Bridge over Converseville Brook – Completed in September. The project involved the replacement of two 12’ diameter structurally deficient corrugated metal pipes that were built in 1950. A 36’ span precast concrete arched rigid frame with precast concrete wingwalls was the replacement structure.
- Wilton, NH – Stagecoach Road Bridge over Burton Pond Outlet – Completed in October. The original bridge was built in 1940 and reconstructed in 1960. It consisted of a 26’-0” single-span timber stringer and deck superstructure supported by concrete faced stone abutments and a timber bent. The former bridge carried one travel lane with alternating two-way traffic. Several replacement and rehabilitation alternatives were evaluated, and a precast concrete arched rigid frame was selected as the preferred replacement alternative. A 2-dimensional hydrologic and hydraulic analysis was also performed to determine the design flood events and adequate bridge waterway opening, as well as roadway profile improvements to alleviate flooding during storm events. The project was successfully constructed under-budget and it is now opened to traffic.
- Loudon, NH – Transfer Station Rehabilitation – Completed in October. This project included replacement of a deck slab bridge, construction of a new approach slab, repairs to the steel sheet piling paint system, and replacement of deteriorated exterior doors and portions of metal siding at the transfer station. Our services included a review and letter report, design phase, bid phase, and construction administration phase services.
- Gilmanton, NH – Crystal Lake Road Bridge over Crystal Lake –
Completed in December, with minor work to be completed in spring 2022. This accelerated bridge construction (ABC) project included 615’ of roadway construction and replacement of the existing bridge with a new 38’ span prestressed concrete deck beam superstructure supported on precast concrete pile caps with micropile foundations. Not a single sump pump was used to control the water during construction as the project was designed to include a 4’ drawdown of the lake and complete all work in the dry. All bridge components were designed as precast elements in order to expedite the construction schedule. The project was completed under-budget and on time in a 72-day construction window.
- Eaton, NH – Potter Road Bridge over Snow Brook – Completed in December, with minor cleanup work to be completed in spring 2022. The existing bridge was built in 1965 and consisted of a 16’-5” single-span steel stringer bridge topped with a steel plate and gravel wearing surface. The substructure was comprised of dry stone masonry abutments with flared wingwalls. The project involved the replacement of the existing bridge with a 26′ span precast concrete rigid frame on precast concrete pedestals and footings, with precast concrete wingwalls, and 315’ of roadway reconstruction. Our services included design phase, bid phase, environmental permitting, and construction administration phase for this project.
Hoyle Tanner provides bridge design, evaluation, safety inspection, capacity rating and emergency response services to public and private clients throughout New England. We have completed hundreds of bridge projects for state transportation agencies including the New Hampshire Department of Transportation (NHDOT), Vermont Agency of Transportation (VTrans), Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT), New York State Department of Transportation (NYSDOT) and Maine Department of Transportation (MaineDOT) as well as numerous other agencies and municipalities.
Our expertise includes all types of bridges such as steel, concrete, and prestressed concrete girders, stone arches, historic metal trusses, timber covered bridges, precast concrete rigid frames and box culverts, metal pipes and others. Have a bridge in your community that needs updating? Contact Project Manager Josif Bicja.